Grilled cheese. An iconic childhood classic. I enjoyed mine on Wonder bread with Kraft singles. The simple sandwich slowly began accumulating accessories.. fresh tomato slices, crispy bacon, caramelized shallots, sometimes a swipe of dijonaise to help make for a creamier cheese melt.
My new guilty pleasure has been kimchi grilled cheese. It’s a wonderful way to use up that last little bit of really funky kimchi at the bottom of the jar and helps me rationalize eating copious amounts of cheese all in the name of gut health.
- 2 slices bread (I used whole wheat because it’s what I had in my pantry)
- 1½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ cup of grated cheese – mozzarella, fontina, and gruyere is my favorite combination (for this version, I used two slices of American cheese and some leftover shredded taco cheese)
- ¼ cup kimchi, drained and chopped
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat. Spread 1 side of each slice of bread with the mayonnaise. Place the bread, mayonnaise-side-down, in the skillet and divide the cheese evenly over the slices.
- When the cheese has just melted (no individual shreds of cheese remain), 6 to 10 minutes, add the kimchi to one side. Use a spatula to top with the other slice of bread, cheese-side-down. Press with the spatula to meld, then let cook, covered, flipping as needed to prevent burning, until the bread is crusty-brown and the sandwich is warmed through, 2 to 4 minutes.